The purpose of all True North Learning’s Youth Development programs is to develop personal, social and professional capacities to school, apprentice, university and youth council groups for use in their current environments and to aid in the transition to higher education, vocational, work or community life.
The programs introduce students to leadership concepts by giving them the opportunity to lead others and therefore develop skills via direct practice, hands-on experience and peer feedback.
Designed to develop the student’s ability to work successfully in teams, communicate with greater effectiveness and solve problems in a group setting.
These programs firstly build awareness and the capacity to recognise and manage the personal influences on our thinking and behaviour. Secondly, they explore the external and societal influences that impact emotional well being, self esteem, identity and personal effectiveness.
Our Enterprise and Job Readiness programs are designed to build students’ skills and knowledge of the roles they can play in a post academic world and the personal awareness to make these transitions smoothly.
Students are given outcome-specific challenges that require them to make choices, to strategise, to try out new ideas, find possible solutions, and learn to see mistakes as valuable learning opportunities. Sessions can build on previous learning and streams and get progressively harder and more challenging as programs progress.
Our delivery model has students engaged in Experiential Learning activities, reflecting on their behaviour within those activities, and then finding relevance or application to their world.
For schools, the programs align with National Curriculum outcomes. Concepts and skills covered parallel those delivered in corporate and organisational settings, providing consistency and aiding transition into those environments. They also provide a platform for positive cultural language and behaviours in current learning environments.
Each stream has 4 modules with 3 hours of programming per module. You can choose the streams, modules and time frames to suit your outcomes and create a half day, full day, 1.5 day or 2 day program. Any modules from any stream can be chosen. There are 8 days of programming in total. We can easily adapt and tailor a learning program that is customised to your needs and desired outcomes.
The sessions are delivered by trained facilitators, using our Experiential Learning methodology that has been delivering knowledge through direct experience for more than two decades. We apply best practice health, safety, environment and quality procedures to all program and service delivery.
True North Learning has designed and refined an approach that engages and energises learners. We emphasise student enquiry, reflection and critical thinking through engagement in high quality activities, scenarios and projects that are immediate, relevant and practical.
In schools, programs are aligned to National Curriculum outcomes and we supply supporting resources that promote the transfer of learning beyond the workshop. Our Experiential Learning model is used from school students through to organisational executive teams and has the following common attributes, applicable for learners of all backgrounds:
1. Energises learner’s motivation and engagement through meaningful, relevant and interactive activities
2. Builds a learning culture where learners feel safe and respected
3. Caters for diverse learning styles via group and individual activities, group and one on one discussion and reflection, workbooks and program notes, access to online forums and teacher notes for integration into curriculum.
4. Delivered in the context of the group
5. Is learner centred by allowing learners to take away the insights that are most relevant to them and their current context.
6. Creates a culture and shared language across teams and groups
7. Develops critical thinking, problem solving and reflective skills
8. Teachers, mentors and group leaders can be provided with professional development that is aligned and immediately useful in instruction.